Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wind Talkers

Journal of Ben Yahzee from WindTalkers
Day 1 & 2 Camp Pendleton, California
I am a Navajo code talker for the U.S. Marines. We have been training a lot today. They teach us mostly about all the code words for tank and ships and stuff like that. They make us listen to a radio that talks the Navajo language and we have to write down what it means. They have also been giving us a lot of hard physical training. Some of the white guys make fun of us because we’re Indians and they call us “Engines” I don’t really care that much but White Horse doesn’t like it.
We have just been hanging out for awhile now. The guys usually play cards or something. Ox has been playing his harmonica and White Horse has been playing his flute that his father gave him. Earlier today I met my Sergeant. Sergeant Enders is his name. I talked to him during lunch, he doesn’t talk much. I accidently spilled his drink and then I spilled mine on him.
They told us that we are shipping out tomorrow. We are going to some Jap island called Saipan. Later after the meeting I talked to Enders again, he is not very nice to be around.
Day 3, Jap island of Saipan
We arrive on the island. As soon as we hit shore bullets were flying over my head. Enders told me to follow him, so I did. I saw the strength that Enders has. He had shot many Jap’s before and didn’t seem to have a problem with doing it now. We covered a lot of ground. It is scary seeing all of these dead bodies lying around. I am always thinking of my family. I wonder how George, my son is doing. Today was long and brutal. Hopefully I can get some good rest now.
Day 4, Jap island of Saipan
I woke up today and took a bath in the river by camp. One of the soldiers keeps messing with me calling me an “engine”. He and I got in a fist fight today but Enders broke it up. We got on the back of the trucks and rode across the island. We covered more then half the island. The stupid missile launcher guys were firing and blowing up our own men on accident. My radio had blown up on my back, it burned really bad. I had to dress like a Jap with pretending Enders was my prisoner so we could get to the Jap’s radio. Some of the guys said I kind of look like a “Nip”. So we got to the radio and I gave them the coordinates to blow up the Jap’s trenches. It worked. Another long day. I killed a Jap but felt kind of bad. White Horse gave me a sacred ceremony last night. It was so the spirits of the dead do not haunt me. I think it helped.
Day 5 & 6, Jap island of Saipan
We came into a city this morning. We were attacked again. White Horse was killed. Enders had to blow him and the Jap’s up in order to save the code. I didn’t understand at first and I got mad at Enders and threatened to kill him.
We have almost covered the whole island. I did more code taking to blow up the Jap’s base. I killed many Jap’s today because I kept thinking about White Horse. I got shot in both of my legs. I had lain next to Enders in a fox hole. He had been shot in the chest and died next to me. But we had won. We took over the island. I can go home now. Enders was my friend. I said a prayer for Ox, Enders and White Horse. The code of our language was never broke by the Jap’s. I did my job – so now I can go home now.

No comments: